Thursday, April 21, 2011

Threads of Hope

I didn't know too much about what happened in Chile until I attended this event. This movie, "Threads of Hope", was part of the Global Justice film series and it was about the women of Santiago, Chile who make arpilleras (patchwork fabrics depicting the events) in the hopes of finding their lost loved ones: sons, husbands, and brothers. The military had taken these men prisoners during the Augusto Pinochet dictatorship (1973-1990) but never admitted that they had taken them. The arperillas were made and sold with letters inside to expose the world to the horror that was raging in Chile. As people in other countries began seeing the arperillas and everything that was going on during this time period, they were able to help stop the dictatorship and support the change. Now, years later, as the government still refuses to admit their major role in this horrible event, the women desire closure and long to at least be able to bury the bodies of their loved ones properly.

Anytime I watch or hear about events where people are being tortured and oppressed (physically and emotionally) it makes my heart sink as I imagine it does for most people. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that those people felt during this time. Both sides, male and female, were horrible but my heart goes out so much for the women because the large part of the pain is the mystery. The uncertainty that they had to battle every day- "where are they?", "how badly have they been beaten?","are they alive?", "are they dead?" But the amazing part was how these women turned all of their pain and anger into determination. They chose to not just sit there and let the government get away with this destruction of human rights. They weren't able to physically fight the military, but they did what they could: they made arperillas! And their little pieces of cloth played a major role in putting an end to the dictatorship in their country. It is so inspirational because it shows that you don't need to have the biggest or best to make a difference. You can make a difference with whatever seemingly small or unimportant gifts that you have. The main ingredient is determination- the willingness to sacrifice and give your life for the cause you are supporting. These women would protest publicly whenever they were able despite their old age. They undoubtedly shame many of us younger people who don't even have the heart to stand up for what we believe when there are no consequences. These women risked their lives and were physically attacked for their cause, yet they prevailed. They never quit, they didn't back down- they did what they needed to do to make change happen.

God forbid that I ever have to face anything similar to what they did, but it isn't impossible! Would I have the conviction to put everything, even my life, on the line for my cause? I was cringing as I watched all that they had to endure and at that moment I was really doubting if I had it in me. It's why I'm so thankful for God who promises that He won't put us through anything that we can't endure. Therefore if I ever have to face something to that magnitude I can stand assure that I am able to stand with God on my side and that He will give me the strength to prevail. I know that those women probably NEVER would have guessed that they would be able to do what they did, but the hardships of this life make us stronger and build character in us that we never would have got without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment