Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Dear Mr. Malcom X

I heard your Oxford Union Debate on Extremism in the Defense of Liberty. I don't personally know a lot about your life, but I am aware of your participation in the Black movement. I admire your courage and zeal, but what I was most impressed with during your debate was how you took your personal race out of the situation and addressed a specific problem- a problem that I completely agree with. The issue shouldn't be whether or not a specific race is allowed to act "extreme" when they are oppressed; as humans, everyone should be treated with the same level of respect regardless. People of all colors, races, and backgrounds were created with a spirit, soul, and mind. We all feel the same way and should respect each other the same way. Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world where that is the case. African Americans are treated at best like less humans and at worst animals. However, when you beat an animal, the natural response for most of them will be a retaliation of defense; yet people are completely blown away when black people, as human beings, are quick to defend themselves and show any sort of emotion when they are treated horribly.

I am an African American woman so I have been beat down to the lowest notch of this food chain. How do I not defend yourself when I have been deprived of basic human rights? How do I not become angry as I watch my parents and friends be forced to serve others and treated like animals? How do I not become extreme while I watch white children go to school and get a great education and a brighter future when my children have no hope of experiencing the same successes because of the color of their skin?

Not only am I African American, I am also a Christian. I'm a firm believer in you reap what you sow and working hard for what you achieve. I believe in rejoicing with those that rejoice and weeping with those that weep. This country is said to be founded on Christian principles however apartheid is nowhere to be found in my bible. I feel as though we have forgotten the song "Jesus Loves the Little Children" where it is clarified that "red and yellow, black and white- they are precious in His sight". You hit the nail on the head when you made the statement of people preaching one thing and acting the opposite. Ultimately, my hope is not in this world because it is corrupt and full of evil and wickedness. I fully believe that the Lord is in control of our lives and that He truly does hear the cry of the brokenhearted and oppressed. But we have a job to do as well: beat them with kindness and love. We are undoubtedly naturally justified in our anger: we are being punished for the color of our skin- something we have absolutely no control over. However, two wrongs don't make a right and it does us no good to become as bitter and angry towards them as they are towards us for the color of our skin. I believe it is our job to become extreme: extremely loving towards our enemies. We have to stand up and speak to what is wrong. We can't just sit by and allow things to happen when we can have an influence on it. We are fighting not just for ourselves, we are fighting for our children and grandchildren. We are fighting for principles: the principle that all men were created equally and should be treated that way. Like you mentioned, it isn't about African Americans only- it is about anyone being treated wrongly and having their rights stripped from them. Does it hurt? Of course. Am I confused and at times unbelievably angry? Absolutely! But by allowing myself to sink to their level and ways of doing things will make the situation even worse. We don't control the situations we find ourselves in, but we do control how we respond to them!

I am truly grateful for your willingness and ability to fight for our rights. Continue to be extreme without lowering yourself to their level and I believe that we will come through this victorious! "Don't be weary in well doing for in due time you will reap if you faint not." - Galatians 6:9

Sincerely,

Brooke Hayden

No comments:

Post a Comment