Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Busboys & Poets- March 28

This wasn't my first time at Busboys & Poets (although my first time was only the day before)but it was my first time to a open mic poetry reading. Obviously the only thing that I can base my ideas of what they are like off of are what I've seen on TV or movies. The hostess even made the comment "We don't snap- it's not the '70s" but I was truly wondering if that's how I was suppose to respond after people finished reading!

What I was really impressed with was the family- a father and his two daughters- that came from Maine or Pennsylvania (can't remember exactly). The dad went first and read a funny poem about Facebook which made me laugh and I think he loosened up the crowd for his daughters which I figure was his intent all along. The older of the two daughters went after her dad and she was probably 14-16 years old. Both of her poems were really good and I was really impressed not only with the talent but also the courage that it took for her to get up in front of complete strangers- much older than she is- and perform her art. The youngest daughter who was probably 9-12 years old went last and she was very cute. I wish I could understand most of what she said but I could tell that she was presenting someone's else work.

Many other people went up and presented poems. A few you could tell were "regulars" and others, like our classmate, was new to it. But it was really cool watching everyone get up and express themselves the way they did. One older man who was a regular shared a poem he called "Not IF" which I really liked because he essentially exaggerated what we do as humans to show us how insensitive and selfish we are. The poem expressed what we usually do which is the opposite of what we say and tell others to do. It really captured my attention because when you listen you are like "Man, that person is horrible!" but once you stop and think about it you realize how often you fall into the same traps. I also really liked the Professor's poem about leaving a family legacy. The entire time she talked I was thinking about my family and the things that I have learned from them that I plan to pass on to my children and how they will live on through those life lessons. One woman shared poems about self-esteem and an experience with a child who was struggling. They were so beautifully written and you could easily identify with all the emotions she tried to relay. Others spoke on love and other issues that really hit close to home for them and I really enjoyed all of those!

I wasn't very fond of the main speaker- not because of her writing ability because she was undoubtedly talented- but because of her content. I realize that people write about what they know and I do admire them for that, but it's sad if that is the only content you have to write about. She was open and honest to warn the family about the content of her poetry and as soon as she started talking the father sent his daughters out of the room. I couldn't blame him! Looking back, I should have done the same thing because that isn't the content that I want to be filling myself with as a Christian. I was really encouraged when the dad took his daughters out because it showed that there still is innocence in the world and that some parents really try to do their best to spare their children as long as possible. I personally spaced out from time to time because the content of her writings didn't capture my attention- they were offensive to me and I should have had the boldness to do as the father did and remove myself from it. I don't at all blame the poetess because that is her job- that's her life and how she is expresses herself. If anything it makes me even more thankful for the environment that I was raised in- that I don't have to resort to degrading means in order to make money. She was a very pretty and talented woman and she deserved/deserves better. I wasn't angry at her for what she wrote about- my heart more broke that that's what she has to draw from for inspiration to write. She also wasn't the only one- many of the readings were about negativity and were vulgar, etc. It opens my eyes to how much people are lost and hurting and searching for satisfaction and acceptance. I love writing because it is an outlet to get things off your chest- sometimes things that you could never say to the person they are intended for. However, I'm thankful even more that I have Jesus who saved me from myself, my sins and everything that I could have been if left alone and who is always there as the necessary outlet to express the feelings of my heart.

As always, this was such a great learning experience. I'm beginning to realize more and more how everything in life is a chance to learn something either about this world or myself and I definitely learned about both during this open mic night.

No comments:

Post a Comment